- January 18 Program about Women and Politics, Dr. Dana Brown, Chatham University. Zoom seminar offered by AAUW-PA. https://mailchi.mp/352bc454ed03/status-of-women-in-politics?e=6a61a589ee
- February Black History Month will feature IUP professors and their reflections on what effect the Civil Rights’ movement in the 60’s initiated by Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. had on our lives. Our Scholarship applications for SFU & IUP women are announced on Feb. 1.
- March Women’s History month – A Proclamation will be presented at the Indiana County Commissioners Meeting. Also, we will explore the writings/contributions by famous women such as Lorraine Hansbury (author of “Raisin in the Sun) at our March meeting
- April Notable Women Presentation. Lillian Clemons, committee chair along with board member, Margaret Stempien, will host our annual celebration. Our Scholarship winners will be announced by April 30.
- May. Mental Health Awareness month – a professional speaker will talk about depression, PSTD, Dementia and Alzheimers.
- June3-5 AAUW PA Bi-Annual Convention. Central Hotel and Conference Center 800 East Park Drive, Harrisburg. Kate Geiger will do a session on the Code Brave grant, joined by board members – Lillian, Patti, & others.
- June Flag Day Picnic on June 14
- July Lillian Clemons leads a workshop on the Code Brave Program at the library
- August Anna Frank from FIRST COMMONWEALTH Bank will offer a Program about Financial Literacy for women.
- September– an in-person meeting inviting IUP students and IUP’s Elise Glenn, head of IUP Commission on Women), to a Martial Arts demonstration by the IUP Police to give tips on personal safety.
- October A Musical Theatre Program by Mary Jo Bowes and Susan Wheatley dramatizing the beginnings of AAUW in 1887.
- November– Veteran’s Day – female veterans will talk about the VA museum in Virginia.
- December A Holiday Party/Fund raiser and silent auction to fund our scholarship program
CALENDAR IN REVIEW for 2021-22
- • July 10, 11:30-1:00, Book Review: Johnstown Girls. Charlotte Manges. At Memorial Park, Indiana. BRING YOUR OWN LAWN CHAIR AND SANDWICH.
- Saturday, August 7th, 11:30. Women and the Caribbean Island Nations Poetry. Dr. Marveta Ryan-Sams. At Benjamin’s Restaurant. Dr. Ryan -Sams spoke eloquently on the activist poetry and essays of women of color in 19th Century Central America. Dr. Ryan-Sams is coordinator of Pan-African Studies at IUP.
- Saturday, September 18th At 11:30 Am. “The Importance of Women in Politics.” Lynne Alvine. At Benjamin’s Restaurant. AAUW’s Lynne Alvine talked about the importance of electing women to office in order to protect the best interests of all women.
- Saturday, October 2, 10:00. IUP Homecoming Parade “8-1/2 Decides” with AAUW-IC. Line up at 8:30 am.
- Wednesday, October 6th, 4:00 PM. BOARD MEETING at Mary Jo Bowes
- Wednesday, October 13th At 7:00 pm. Advocacy against Violence. Audia Boyles. Breezedale Alumni Center on the IUP Campus
- Wednesday, November 3, 4:00 PM. BOARD MEETING at Mary Jo Bowes
- Wednesday, November 10th At 7:00 pm. Women in The Underground Railroad. Denise Jennings-Doyle.
- December 13, 10:30-1:00 – Our Holiday Party at the Rustic Lodge with the THEME: “Getting to Know You” featured entertainment by Mary Jo Bowes and Patti Holmes. Our silent auction helped to fund our student scholarships for 2022-23.
2021’s MEETINGS in Review
WED. Jan. 13, 4-5:00 P.M. AAUW-IC virtual Executive Board Meeting.
THURS. Jan. 14, 4:00 P.M. AAUW-IC General Membership Meeting. “CODE BRAVE CLUB – STEAM learning for Girls” with Lillian Clemons, computer coder, with Lauri Fletcher & Kate Geiger of the Indiana Free Library. Featuring Code Brave.
WED. Feb. 10, 4-5:00 P.M. AAUW-IC virtual Executive Board Meeting.
WED. Feb. 24, 7:00 P.M. “Elitism, Racism, and Black History Month” Featuring Quintina Thomas, former AAUW Notable Woman gives her dynamic perspectives.
WED. Mar. 10, 4-5:00 P.M. AAUW-IC virtual Executive Board Meeting.
WED. Mar. 24, 7:00 P.M. “From Women’s Studies to Women’s Healthcare Provider” Featuring Lucinda Manges.
WED. Apr. 14, 4-5:00 P.M. AAUW-IC virtual Executive Board Meeting.
WED. Apr. 21, 7:00 P.M. “NOTABLE WOMEN Virtual Celebration’, Chaired by Lillian Clemons and the Notable Women committee. Honoring: Sharon Antalis, Ellen Chinn, Julianne Laird, Joyce Magee, and Sandy Whitson
WED. May 12, 4-5:00 P.M. AAUW-IC virtual Executive Board Meeting.
WED. June 9, 4-5:00 P.M. AAUW-IC Executive Board Meeting.
Mon. June 14, 5:00 P.M. “AAUW Flag Day” and “ANNUAL MEETING” party at Getty Park. Outdoor potluck for members and friends. Election of new officers.
Our FALL 2020 GENERAL MEETINGS
WED. Dec. 3, 4:00 P.M: The AAUW Executive Board toured the newly renovated Alice Paul House for their December Board Meeting.
WED. OCT 14, 7:00 P.M. A WEBINAR Featuring Epidemiologist: Alison Simmons. Visit the Indiana County COVID -19 Dashboard at her website: https://public.tableau.com/profile/alisonesimmons/#!/
Alison is an AAUW member, a local resident and a Ph.D. student in epidemiology at the University of Toronto.
“WOMEN’S SUFFRAGE 100 YEARS” 2019-20 calendar –
Sept. 28, 2019, Fall Luncheon at St. Andrews. 11:30-2:00. “In Sisterhood – The Women’s Movement in Pittsburgh.” Speaker: Patricia Ulbrich of the In Sisterhood Project, Co-sponsored by LVW of Indiana County, introduced by Donna Cashdollar. Public Policy Event – Indiana Community invited. Attendance approx. 35.
Oct 5, 2019. Homecoming Parade – AAUW members and Indiana County Women participated in IUP’s homecoming – dress as famous Women Suffrage personalities. Chaired by – Lillian Clemons.
Nov. 3, 2019, 5:00 pm “All-About-Women” Trivia night at Spaghetti Benders, Mary Jo Bowes, trivia facilitator, and Whitney Carmichael spearheaded this AAUW fundraiser.
Dec. 7, 2019,11:30-2:00.Holiday Silent Auction Fundraiser at St. Andrews. An AAUW Action Network Public Policy Event, and scholarship fundraiser. IUP African-American Student Elara Mede, sang holiday songs and spirituals. Chaired by Treasurer Peggy Eyer and Membership VP Charlotte Manges. Public policy action Event: Consisted of sending postcards to PA legislators. Postcards: Legis Postcard Strucci and Legis Postcard Pittman
February 1, 2020. Applications open for AAUW $500 scholarships – offered in partnership with the Women’s and Gender Studies programs at two AAUW Collegiate Institutional members: Indiana University of Pennsylvania and Saint Francis University. Women students can apply in 2 categories: Non-Traditional Students; Women’s Studies Major or Minor Students. Winners Rosalind Rivera and Chloe Tubbs received their awards by May 31.
Feb. 2, 2020, 3:00 pm in Gorell Recital Hall, “A Suffragist Soirée – Celebrating 100 Years of Voting Rights through Music & Dramatic Readings” Words and music by Suffrage Era Women – “The March of the Women” by Ethel Smyth promoted by Emmeline Pankhurst, the words of Susan B. Anthony, Sojourner Truth, Ida B. Wells, and Indiana’s own Jane Leonard and composer Gladys Fisher, along with classical, blues, and jazz selections by courageous women composers of the Suffrage era. Featuring AAUW and IUP performers – Sarah Mantel, & Mary Jo Bowes, AAUW Soirèe Coordinators, Gretchen Barbor, Stanley Chepaitis, Lillian Clemons, Evan Engelstad, Mary Logan-Hastings, Patricia Holmes, Julianne Laird, Elary Mede, Carl Rahkonen, Susan Wheatley and IUP music faculty/students. Charlotte Manges, reception hostess. Public Policy Event – Indiana Community invited. Attendance approx. 200.
February 8, 2020, 11:00 am, IUP Room 114, HSS Bldg. – Start Smart Negotiations Workshop, at IUP. with Melissa Swauger IUP, and Lori Woods, SFU. Negotiation workshop for IUP students – focus on women’s negotiating skills. Twenty students participated this year.
February 8, 2020, 11:00 am, IUP Room 114, HSS Bldg. – Start Smart Negotiations Workshop, at IUP. with Melissa Swauger IUP, and Lori Woods, SFU. Negotiation workshop for IUP students – focus on women’s negotiating skills. Public Policy Event – Attendance 20 students and several AAUW-IC Members.
March 31,2020, AAUW Equal Pay Day. President sent a letter of commendation to our commissioners Sherene Hess and Robin Gorman. Public Policy Event Letter: Equal-Pay-Day2020
June 10, 2020, 5:00-8:30 p.m. Notable Women and Scholarship Banquet, at the Hilton Garden Inn. Since 1987, the Indiana County Branch honors Notable Women in our county who have contributed significantly to improving the climate for women, girls, and families in our community. This year we recognize 2020’s NOTABLE WOMEN: Sharon Antalis, Ellen Chinn, Joyce Magee, and Sandy Whitson. Chaired by Cathy Schloemer and the Notable Women committee. Cancelled due to COVID-19 TENTATIVE CHANGE OF DATE – APRIL 21, 2021 June 6, 2020 DAY TRIP – SATURDAY JUNE 6, 2020 – $160 Join our charter tour to the Women’s Rights National Historical Park in Seneca Falls, New York, offered by Aztec Travel and AAUW. Celebrate this year’s 100-year anniversary of women’s voting rights, and learn about Seneca Falls’ Women’s Rights Convention – a story of the struggle for women’s suffrage, civil rights,human rights,equality, & global struggles that still continue today. $25 Deposit ($135 balance due one month prior to trip). Cancelled due to COVID-19. TENTATIVE CHANGE OF DATE – JUNE 5, 2021
July 13-15, 2020 AAUW-PA Convention Central Hotel and Conf. Center, Harrisburg. Theme: “Purple Sashes and Persistent Women” Cancelled due to COVID-19.
August 18, 2020 – A whole-community event to commemorate the U.S. ratification of the 19th Amendment. A collaboration with numerous Indiana County partners. Cancelled due to COVID-19. Rescheduled for August 18 2021.
* Note: AAUW-IC will also collaborate with LWV-IC, FDW-IC and numerous Women’s organizations for more Suffragette activities this year. The events above may be subject to change so please check back to our calendar often!
SEE OUR PAST YEARS’ CALENDARS-IN-REVIEW
2018-19 Year Calendar in Review
• Wednesday, June 12 5:00 – 8:00 pm You are invited to AAUW’s Annual Picnic on Wednesday, June 12, 5:00-8:00 p.m.at the Yellow Creek home of Susan Wheatley & Dan Perlongo, 1107 Ray Road in Penn Run.Bring a potluck side dish to the picnic – Grilled meats will be provided to all, but you can bring a salad, dessert or beverages (wine/beer) to share. There’s lots to do at Yellow Creek – Adults & children may enjoy boating on Yellow Creek: Pontoon, Pedal boat, and Kayaking are supervised by Dan Perlongo. Life-vests provided.
May 18, Sat. 9 am-1:00 p.m. YMCA. STEAM EVENT for NAACP WIN’s Project GetSTEAM girls. Theme: Personal Hygiene and Self Esteem. Co-hosted by NAACP WIN and Alice Paul House, with AAUW Board members Audia Boyles and Whitney Carmichael.
• Saturday, April 27, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm • STEAM EVENT for NAACP WIN’s Project GetSTEAM girls with Cindy Goril at Star Equestrian Horse Farm. Theme: Science of Equine Therapy & Science of Organic Farming. Hosted by AAUW.
• Saturday, April 13 10:00 am – 1:00 pm • Start Smart Negotiation Workshop, Room 114, Humanities & Social Sciences Bldg, Room 114 on the IUP Campus. College students and young professionals will learn how to negotiate the highest salary. Facilitator: Dr. Melissa Swauger.
• Wednesday, April 3, 2019 • 5:30 pm • Ramada Inn, 1395 Wayne Ave. AAUW’s Notable Women and Scholarship Banquet, Cathy Schloemer, Notable Women Committee Chair.. Honoring Notable Women: Lynn Alvine, Susan Boser, Mary Jo Bowes, Carol Reed, Louise Peterman, and Quintina Thomas. Presenting Scholarships to: Sydney Missouri, Maggie Olin, and Chloe Tubbs.
• Saturday, Feb. 16, 8:00 am –4:00 pm • STEAM EVENT for NAACP WIN’s Project GetSTEAM at Saint Francis University, moderated by Lori Woods, AAUW Program VP. Theme: Careers in Science. Co-hosted by St. Francis University and NAACP.
• Saturday, January 26, 2019 Luncheon • 11:30 am-1:30 pm
St. Andrews Bristol Ct. Dining Room • Money Management for Women at Every Stage of Life. Featuring speaker Diane Pearson, Financial Advisor, Sherene Hess, Indiana County Commissioner, and Charlotte Manges, giving end-of-life legacy advice.
- Sun., Dec. 15, Afternoon at St. Andrews Village. Holiday Caroling & Crafts for Elderly Residents. A STEAM EVENT for NAACP WIN’s Project GetSTEAM girls. Theme: Enhancing Health for Elders with Music and Art Therapy. Co-hosted by NAACP WIN and AAUW’s President, Susan Wheatley, pianist.
- Sat., Dec. 1, 11:30-1:30 at St. Andrews Village, Bristol Court Dining Rm. AAUW’s Holiday Luncheon – With a Buffet of Festive Tastes: Soup, Salad, 2 Entrees, Vegetable Sides, and Holiday Desserts. $30.00. Pay at the Door. If you wish – bring a “stocking-stuffer” gift-for-sale. Luncheon and gift proceeds go to AAUW’s Scholarship Fund. RSVP – Charlotte Manges Program VP.
- Oct 20. Sat. 10 am-1:00 p.m. St. Andrews Village “Fair Districts presents: Draw-the-Lines” A STEAM EVENT for NAACP WIN’s Project GetSTEAM girls. Theme: Math, Mapping and Geography with Technology. Hosted by AAUW and PA Fair Districts.
- Oct 17. Wed 5:30-7:30. Chevey Chase Community Center. “Speaking Out on Economic Issues to Improve the Lives of Women & Girls” in Indiana County – A Public forum for the Indiana Community featuring women leaders and candidates Refreshments served. Free to the public. Moderated by Dr. Lori Woods, Program VP.
- Sept 29, Sat. 9 am-1:00 p.m. YMCA. Kick-off STEAM EVENT for NAACP WIN’s Project GetSTEAM girls. Theme: Math, Mapping and Geography with Technology. Cohosted by NAACP WIN and AAUW.
- Sept 15 – Sat. 11:30-1:30. St Andrews Bristol Court Dining Room,1155 Indiana Springs Rd. RSVP by Sept 11. Guest Speaker: Dr. Joan Evelyn Duvall-Flynn, president of the NAACP Pennsylvania State Conference of Branches, spoke about how “Women Leaders Listen” and ‘GetSTEAM,’ a new initiative for girls ages 8-15 in science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics.
- Sept 16 Sat. 11:30-1:00. St Andrews. Audia Boyles, Speaker “Keeping Families Safe” – APH/AAUW collaboration. Also – ‘spotlight’ on Scholarship winners, Dina Baunoch, Dylan Donine. Lunch is $15 – pay at the door.
- Oct 18. Wed 5:30-7:30. Breezedale. Public policies affecting our health. Lori Woods, Sherene Hess, and other health professionals.
- Oct 30. 7:00 pm. Oak Place Community Center, 1055 Oak St. Candidates’ night in partnership with sponsoring organization, Indiana’s League of Women Voters. Refreshments by AAUW Indiana County Branch.
- Nov. 14, 10:00 am. Book Review by Gretchen Barbor and Anne Simmons. “The Year of Magical Thinking” by Joan Didion. Discussion end-of-life-issues
- Dec 2. Sat. 11:30-1:00. St Andrews. AAUW Fundraiser. IUP students providing music entertainment
- Jan 10. Wed 5:30-7:30. Breezedale. Alison Simmons, speaker – NCCWLS Scholarship. “The Impact of the Early Discontinuation of Breastfeeding.”
- February 1: Scholarship applications accepted online
- March 20, Tuesday; Scholarship interviews.
- March 28. Wed. 5:30-7:30. Rustic Lodge. Notable Women and Scholarship Banquet $25.00. Reservation deadline is March 15.
- April 7 Sat. 10-1:00. Start Smart. IUP, Room B02 HSS Bldg
- Apr 13-15. AAUW-PA convention. Seven Springs.
- April Pay Equity Day, Aprl 15.
- June 14 Thursday 5-8pm; Picnic and Annual Meeting; Home of Susan Wheatley 1107Ray Road, Penn Run, PA
2016-17 Year in Review
Saturday, September 24, 2016, 11:30 a.m. AAUW Luncheon – Saint Andrews Village, Bristol Court Dining Room, 1155 Indian Springs Rd, Indiana, PA 15701. Special speaker: Susan Spicka, interim Director of Education Voters of PA, will speak on how to best finance public education in Pennsylvania emphasizing equity regardless of gender, ethnicity, or socioeconomic standing.
Tuesday, October 27, 2016, 7:00 p.m. Oak Place Community Center, 1055 Oak St. Candidates’ night in partnership with sponsoring organization, Indiana’s League of Women Voters. Refreshments by AAUW Indiana County Branch.
Saturday, November 5, 2016, 11:30 a.m. AAUW Book Review of Shirley Chisholm’s “Unbought and Unbossed” by Charlotte Manges commemorating Chisholm’s candidacy for US president in 1968. Our book club focuses on gender equity, historical events, and improving the lives of women and girls. Lunch ($10) and book review begins at noon. – Saint Andrews Village, Bristol Court
Saturday, December 3, 2016, 11:30 a.m.AAUW Holiday Gift Bazaar & Luncheon Buffet. Offering the sights, sounds, tastes, crafts, and customs of holidays around the world. Fundraiser for AAUW’s Scholarship Fund. Gift bazaar begins at 11, Luncheon at 12; silent auction at 1:00 pm. – Saint Andrews Village, Bristol Court Dining Room. Featuring Irish Christmas music by JR Shanty Co, Julianne Laird and Richard Workman.
Monday, January 30, 2017, 5:30 p.m. Potluck Dinner, 7:00 p.m.Program. Sponsored by LWVIC and Funded, in part by AAUW, part of AAUWIC’s focus on Education Equity. Panel Discussion, “How to Best Finance Public Education in Rural PA” moderated by Sherene Hess, County Commissioner. Panel members: Rep Kristin Hill, Rep. Dave Reed, Susan Spicka, Ed. Voters PA, James Wagner, ARIN Ex. Dir. Oak Place Community Center, 1055 Oak St.
Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 6:30 p.m. Dessert, 7:00 p.m. Program. AAUW Focus on Research. “Campus Climate Study for Diversity and Inclusion” by Dr. Melissa Swauger and Dr. Melanie Hildebrandt. Humanities and Social Sciences Bldg. Rm. 126 on the IUP Campus.
Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 5:30-7:30 p.m. AAUW Scholarship and Notable Women’s Banquet. Honoring women who have significantly enriched the quality of life in our community, and awarding two IUP Scholarships to WGS and Non-traditional coeds. At Rustic Lodge.
Saturday, April 8, 2017, 10:00 a.m. IUP Start Smart Salary Negotiations seminar. An interactive negotiation workshop for students & young professionals on the IUP campus. Facilitated by Kay Snyder, Anne Simmons, and Melissa Swauger, Humanities and Social Sciences Bldg. Rm. B02 on the IUP Campus.
Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 5:00 -8:00 p.m. Annual Picnic at the Home of Susan Wheatley and Daniel Perlongo
2015-16 Year in Review
- Saturday, September 12, 2015, 11:30 a.m. AAUW Book Club Luncheon * – Park Inn Radisson, 1395 Wayne Ave. Book review by Charlotte Manges. “The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II,” by Denise Kiernan
- Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 7:00 p.m. Oak Place Community Center, 1055 Oak St. Candidates’ night in partnership with sponsoring organization, Indiana’s League of Women Voters. Refreshments by AAUW Indiana Branch.
- Saturday, November 14, 2015, 11:30 a.m. AAUW Book Club Luncheon Roseann’s Restaurant, 2263 Oakland, Book review by Gretchen Barbor. “The Underground Girls of Kabul (In Search of a Hidden Resistance)” by Jenny Nordberg.
- Saturday, December 5, 2015, 11:30 a.m. A Fundraiser for our Scholarship and Advocacy Events! AAUW Holiday Luncheon Buffet at Rustic Lodge Proceeds will go to AAUW’s Scholarship and Advocacy Fund.
- Saturday, February 20, 2016, 10:00 a.m. Start-Smart Negotiation Workshop for IUP Coeds and Young Professionals, IUP HUB, Delaware Room
- Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 5:30-7:30 p.m. AAUW Scholarship and Notable Women’s Banquet at Rustic Lodge. $
- Saturday, April 23, 2016, 11:30 a.m. AAUW Book Club Luncheon – Roseann’s Restaurant Book Review by Lynne Alvine. Book “The Notorious RBG” (Ruth Bader Ginsberg)
- Friday, June 10, 2016, 5:00 -7:00 p.m. Getty Heights Park – Picnic
2014-15 Year in Review
- June 12, 2015, 5:00-7:00 pm
Getty Heights Park – Picnic
Co-sponsored by New Century Club and League of Women Voters Indiana
- April 18, 2015, 11:30 a.m.AAUW Book ClubRoseann’s LuncheonBook: The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. Reviewer: Lynne Alvine.
- April 10, 2015AAUW-PA Annual Meeting, Ramada Inn State CollegeTheme: Human Rights-Voter Rights-Women’s Rights
- March 28, 2015, 11:30 a.m.AAUW Scholarship and Notable Women BanquetRustic LodgeThis year’s Notable Women Banquet theme is”Notable Intiatives for Career Equity” – NICE!
- February 21, 2015, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.$tart $mart Workshop & LuncheonDelaware Room in the IUP HUBFacilitated by Dr. Kay Snyder and Annie Houle, AAUW $tart $mart Campus and Community Initiatives Leader.This workshop is part of our Branch theme: “Notable Intiatives for Career Equity” – NICE!
- November 15, 2014, 11:30 a.m.
AAUW Book ClubRoseann’s LuncheonBook: I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education
and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai.Reviewer: Jaunita Burdette.
- October 21, 2014, 7:00 p.m.Candidate’s Night – Oak Place Community Center, 1055 Oak St.Sponsored by Indiana County League of Women Voters.
- September 13, 2014, 11:30 a.m.
Annual Meeting initiating the AAUW Book ClubEat n’ Park LuncheonBook: Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg. Reviewer: Pat Heilman.
- PHOTO: Patti Holmes, VP; Susan Wheatley, Pres., Pat Heilman, Treasurer, & Jaunita Burdette presenting the book review “I am Malala” in October.